Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Silver Linings

  • I will save about a thousand dollars a year on dog boarding.
  • I will no longer have to listen politely to raving loons.
  • I can unsubscribe to MPol because I have no need for the three grains of value per thousand posts generated by the hate-filled crazy people on it.
  • I will not have to deal with Tony Lash, Tom Taffee, or Barry Levine in Portland.
  • I get 50 or so hours of time back each month.
  • I don’t have to hold back and be politically correct and sensitive to people’s feelings on my blog.
  • I can enter the PRP and other competitions, just like a regular member with full rights.
  • Less email. Way less email.
  • I won’t have to pretend that I think the vaunted “Strategic Plan” has any meaning. I can shout “the emperor has no clothes” from the rooftops.
  • No more proofing the Bulletin, InterLink, FRED, and other materials.
  • No more meaningless quarterly reports.
  • I can stop telling people “NO.” As in “No, you can’t use the logo that way.” “No, you can’t be a dick on the forums.” “No, you can’t distribute membership data without a release.” “No, I can’t make the butthead stop harassing you on your unofficial elist.” “No, we’re not going to print your moronic article.”
  • I won't have to get in the middle of the conflict between the AMC and the bullying tactics of the ombudsman.
  • Now that I’m not TPTB, the ombudsman might take my side if I push for action regarding the continued seriously damaging libel about me on the web.
  • I can put away my big brass balls and stop doing the difficult, right things instead of the easy, popular things.
  • I no longer have to research and consult members before making decisions only to be flogged for not researching and consulting enough, sooner.
  • I can take on projects because they interest me, not because "but Robin, you're the only one who can..."
  • Less writing.
  • More desktop space.
  • Fewer deadlines.
  • I can be safe from arrows I endured because others on the AMC were too chicken to speak up to the membership.
  • I can sit back and be amused as little forward-thinking action is taken while concerned members whine about how “we have to find ways to engage the younger members.”
  • Annual Gatherings will be for fun, not for work.
  • No one will complain about the cost of my dinner.

8 comments:

Guy Conti said...

Wow. I love it. You go, girl.

Kevin Mullen said...

But now I'll have no reason to comment here anymore.

Jared said...

Not that I liked Seinfeld to be quoting from the show, but... "Serenity now. Serenity now!"

Alan said...

Make more lemonade.

Jody said...

Robin, all I can say is that you've conducted yourself very well through all this.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Robin!

You have my sympathy for what you went through with the election.

Please know that my services always have been available to you and still are. You may or may not like the outcome, but you may be assured that I would be strictly impartial.

Your favorite bully,
Dave Cahn
National Ombudsman
American Mensa, Ltd.

P.S. Was it you who told me at the November 2010 AMC meeting never again to use the term "The Powers That Be"? Regardless, as you used "TPTB" in your blog, it must not be so bad, after all.

Leah said...

I've been enjoying my retirement. I hope you enjoy yours just as much. I look forward to the full-on uncensored Robin experience. I've really gotta subscribe to this thing via RSS or something.

Anonymous said...

Really.