Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's Been a Week

It's been a week since I got the call telling me that I lost the election. During that week I've been hobbling around on a sprained ankle and eating pain pills, steam cleaning the carpets because of a sick dog, and listening to the wheedling of a son who came within half percentage point of the all-Bs necessary to keep his computer in his room over the summer (you do understand who is really feeling the punishment, right?).


I've had to endure all that while still reading letters complaining about fonts in the Bulletin and answering questions about acceptability of name and logo use on liner notes, artwork, and SIG URLs. I am still working like mad to wrap up the giant Local Group Service & Funding report. I've been cleaning out my inbox and either answering dangling questions and requests or forwarding things to my successors. I even had the joy of proofing the July Bulletin— with the original set of election results (ouch).


I've been composing the messages to my various elists, committees, and helpers to thank them and to make introductions. I've even been doing a little bit of AMC-motion discussion. I've been talking with people who ask me to take on this or that national role for the next term. I've had conversations with other losing candidates about whether or not to contest the election (I'm not going to).


And I've been fielding calls and emails from well-wishers. At first, I was miserable and didn't want to talk to anyone. Emotions swirled, many of which were not very pretty. I'm allowed to feel like crap at how the campaign went and how the election turned out, so I'm not going to apologize for that. But those calls and messages have made me remember that while the uninformed voters may not know what skills and talents I offer, plenty of people do know, and do appreciate me. I'm able to see that the sun will still shine and Mensa still has a welcoming place for me.


It's been a week.
It's time for me to quit wallowing, put on my big-girl panties, and do the right thing.





1 comment:

Dan Burg said...

Thank you, Robin. I wish the same for you.

Dan