Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thanks, David!

I live in a suburb of Chicago. My parents live in northwestern South Carolina, 750 miles away. I got a call from my mom late afternoon on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend; she said that my dad was in the hospital awaiting bypass surgery on Wed. And he was grumpy and bored and stuck there with nothing to do (he had a TV in the room, but no TiVo—poor guy). I thought I'd send a portable DVD player to help him pass the time, but even with the super expensive 1 day postage, it still wouldn’t have arrived there until Tuesday because of the holiday.

So I called the LocSec (Bob Cox) in that town, and he gave me the name and number of someone who lived near the hospital. I called, and that fellow (David Bennett) was thrilled to be able to help. David went to Best Buy in the morning, fronted the money to purchase a decent little machine, and then hand delivered the player to my dad in the hospital Sunday afternoon!

Now this is what Mensa is all about!

Thank you, David! Your generosity and kindness to a stranger makes me proud to be a member of your club.

No comments: