Sunday, September 30, 2007

Is Mensa Family-Friendly Enough?

It may be an urban vs rural issue. Chicago has kid stuff at its regular Monthly Meeitngs. Our RG has a kids track. I've dragged my twins, to meetings and dinners and RGs since they were toddlers. They seemed to be genuinely welcomed by the adults, who include them in board games, conversations, and invite them to unofficial parties.

I don't know what people mean when they wish for AML to become more family friendly. Families are allowed at most events. Many groups and RGs and all AGs plan kid activities. Dues are cheaper for family members. Short of legislating that children must always be allowed and welcomed at activities hosted by kid-free-by-choice members, I'm not sure what more a parent could want. If there are only barroom gatherings on your local calendar, then host your own playgroup. And if no one comes, consider that other members with children aren't looking for the same things you are or that they’re simply too booked with soccer and school and scouts and piano lessons and birthday parties and laundry and PTO and day camp and swimming and and...

As for the extra financial burden placed on families as opposed to singles, yes, of course it costs more to bring the entire family to a Mensa event. It also costs more at the grocery store, movie theaters, and dentist offices. I spend a lot of extra money for the joy of reproducing, but I would never expect that my child-free friends should share my financial burden when we all decide to go to Six Flags together.

So yeah, I think Mensa is adequately “family-friendly.”

No comments: