Thursday, September 27, 2007

Some Members are Worth More?

Someone opined on a forum discussion that active members are worth more— more attention and resources and acceptance.

I was incensed.

Many Mensans go through phases throughout their membership lifetimes. When I first joined, I was young, single, and attended many things— for the fun of it. I did not lift a finger to help. Not once. I didn't even offer to clear a table of debris at the RG. I was lazy and a taker. But still I felt welcomed.

Then I got married and had babies and spent several years under a rock. I went to nothing. I tossed my Bulletins unread. I glanced at our local newsletter occasionally, but it only contained information about events I would miss and people I didn't know. However, that once-a-month paper reminder on the coffee table reassured me that there was more to me than laundry and diapers. It kept me connected, though Mensa officers didn't know I existed.

A few years later, the kids started school and I emerged from my rock. This time, I was looking for challenging projects to do that would stay done (unlike laundry) and I wanted to give something back to the group that welcomed me and kept me hooked despite my laziness and lack of participation. And I have volunteered and given thousands of hours to Mensa since then.

If anyone had told me I was not worth his time or attention in my two earlier phases, Mensa would be one volunteer poorer today. So to all you silent, seemingly inactive members I say: You are wanted. You are valued. You are needed. Mensa is here for you when you need us.

1 comment:

无以名状 said...

I get something similar on my region's e-list. I've always made it clear that I'm open to feedback either on or off-list. Some people just don't feel like discussing what they think with others, they don't feel like arguing, and they just want the person who's actually casting the votes to know what they think. Others think it's not OK for people to send their feedback privately, and that everything should be open for discussion, dissection, and attack.

I beg to differ; I'll take whatever I can get on their terms, not mine.

(I read here a few times a week to make sure I'm caught up, so I figured I'd leave at least one comment because I know how much I enjoy getting them.)