Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dashboard measurements

Next topic: Dashboard categories review and recommendations


(Note-- these are not minutes I'm taking; these my personal notes and reactions and thoughts. I'm just one of 21. And I have my own predjudices about some of this planning stuff.)


Last fall, the AMC generated lists for things to measure to tell  us how we're doing on meeting our strategic goals. John Recht handed out a pretty spreadsheet that has measurements, targets, etc. Very nice. Will it improve Mensa? I dunno. Some of the measurements are kinda fluffy: "Measuring if we're decreasing barriers to effective work and decisions systems--increase in elist use prior to meetings." I'm concerned that if we focus on identifying how we're doing... we'll lose focus on thinking of what we can be doing. I mean, so what if we know that we have or have not increased how many first time attendees there are at national events?

On the other hand, if we really are trying new things, it would be nice to know, empirically, if we're succeeding.

Greg talked about the Foundation's recent process of setting strategic goals and asked: "Do we have, on our governing body, the skills to achieve the goals?" Dang, that is a key thing to ask! He goes on to say: "Our goals drive the governance structure and plans." Yes!

Back to talking about the dashboard-- this will be on the AML Web site in the planning section soon.

No comments: