Friday, September 24, 2010

Moderating Comments and Posts

Leah recently shared a link with me regarding managing comments on blogs. What lept out at me was this section of the post, which, although written specifically about blog comments, so clearly explains why the AML Forums are moderated:

     ... In regards to tone/style, a comment that is hateful, condescending, or insulting in tone is rather problematic. In regards to content, hateful, obscene, racist, sexist or other such material would also potentially be problematic…
     First, they can easily drive away other readers who are not interested in reading such things. To use an analogy, allowing such comments to remain is like allowing rowdy, violent and hateful customers to remain in a typical store. Even if they are customers, they will tend to drive away well behaved customers who just want to shop. Likewise, allowing such comments can drive away those who are interested in the blog’s topics but not in being insulted or treated with contempt. The basic idea is that any value added by such comments will be outweighed by the value lost when others are driven away.
     Second, such comments can be damaging to a blog’s reputation and the experience it offers. To use an analogy, a business that wishes to appear professional works hard to maintain that appearance (and reality). Allowing such comments on a site is a bit like allowing people to urinate on the business floor, harass other customers, and so forth. As such, it seems sensible to delete such comments. This is because any value gained from such comments will be outweighed by the damage done to the blog.



6 comments:

Kevin Mullen said...

Does the data support the statement? Are the AML forums more active with more participants since the change in direction 14 months ago?

Robin Crawford said...

I don't know, data-wise. Good question! I'll look into the stats.

Robin Crawford said...

Haven't had the chance to get data, but i came across this response on the Governance Task Force survey we just sent out: "Our Fora are dominated by a few vociferous and opinionated individuals and do not attract much interest as a result."

Kevin Mullen said...

Of course I am opinionated, the problem is that people tend to take disagreement as a personal insult.

You know when you posted the reply that selecting a single comment is not valid because no matter what you do there will be people that do not like it. Activity numbers will indicate how many members use the resource and how often they use it.

You know my position, I enjoyed my time on the AML forums but there was no point in staying and just creating work for others to review my posts all the time since I would not change them anyway.

Robin Crawford said...

Yes, I know you are still angry and carrying a grudge about being on moderation for a couple days during the shitstorm.

I also know you have done good things for other variants of online Mensan communities, and for that, I thank you.

Kevin Mullen said...

I never left emotions control my decisions, that is a weakness I strive to control. I don't post there anymore because there is no reason to think the outcome would be any different so it would be inefficient to continue.