Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What do members want from LG newsletters?

Do we know --I mean empirically-- what members what from a Local newsletter? Has anyone done any research to determine if they want thick, juicy newsletters with locally-written articles, puzzles, photos, etc, or if they just want to know when and where the next get-together is? Do your readers want to read about upcoming AMC motions, or do they just want light-hearted reviews of local events? Are we creating bigger, more expensive newsletters than our members need or wish for? What are your customers' priorities?

(and no, I don't have the answer to my questions-- I'm just wondering outloud here.)

It seems to me that we should start by determining what the members really want and need from a local newsletter before we try to determine how to deliver and pay for what we think they want and need.


This is actually a piece of what the Local Group Service & Funding committee is trying to figure out.

1 comment:

Jody said...

This is just my $.02 -- I definitely want a calendar of local events. I'd rather have articles and puzzles by local members than fillers, but I also understand the editor may not have enough local material to fill the issue. If the pubs officer/editor/locsec has a pet project I don't want that person's articles published at the expense of other members submissions -- IOW, don't cram the newsletter with "pet project" items when there are other things that can be used.