Friday, October 16, 2009

Connecting Mensans on the Web

Today we unveiled a pet project of mine- something I've been pushing for for a couple years: Mensa on the Web.



For ages, since the days of rec.org.mensa, Mensans have been forming their own online communities, e-groups, blogs, etc. But the only way to find these "unofficial" gatherings was by word of mouth. The main thing members seem to want from Mensa is connection with other members, so AML is now expanding its formal Web site to include links to the beyond-our-oversight ways for Mensans to gather in cyberspace.

It's an idea that will make some people cringe, and I'd be lying if I didn't have a a little trepidation myself, but overall, I think it is a good thing for members to find each other in more ways and in more places.

And if you're reading this because you found this blog listed on the new Mensa on the Web page, please note two things:

1) My ego isn't that huge, really. My blog is listed because someone had to seed the listing! Please, submit your own online gathering and conversation URLs.

2) I update this a few times a month, as the spirit moves me-- nothing regular, but if you give me ideas for essay fodder, I will likely write more often.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Your link comes up as "404 Not Found", I think because you left out the "http://" part and it gets interpreted as a relative link instead of absolute.

Robin Crawford said...

Ah- I found the problem and fixed it. Thanks!