Thursday, February 23, 2023

New CommComm Project: Newsletters

Now that the giant LG Communications Guide is in the hands of the Leadership Development committee, awaiting approval ( or coming back to me for revisions), I find that my to-do list for Communications is sparse. I suppose that's good; it means I've gotten most of what I intended to do this term done. 

But it also means I'm bored.

So recently I got CommComm started on a new giant project to really dig deep into all aspects  of newsletters to see what we can learn that might help us better help Local Groups. Like all my big vague research projects, we're starting by generating a long list of questions we'd like to have answered.

  • What correlations are there between LG size, geography, newsletter quality, and newsletter cost?
  • What are newsletter purposes for different age demographics?
  • Why do members choose paper newsletters
  • Does age correlate to paper vs digital choice?
  • What do we really mean when we say newsletters are a membership benefit?
  • Is there a correlation between population density and the value members place on the newsletter?
  • Does knowledge of a more expansive digital newsletter being offered make members-who-want-paper feel disenfranchised or undervalued?
  • What do all the paper newsletters look like-- number and size of pages, content, efficient use of space, paper weight, color, etc.?
  • How much do LGs spend on [paper] newsletters? Each LG does something different, but can we come up with a concrete average cost-per-quantity of content?

No comments: