Thursday, March 29, 2012

Proposal for Reno Discussion


In response to Elissa's response to my GBTF report this quarter (which in a nut shell said I'm throwing in the towel) I offered to do one last-ditch attempt to get the AMC out of the  rut and back on a forward path by doing some sort of discussion with them at the Reno meeting. This is what I sent to Elissa:


If you wish me to lead a discussion/workshop at Reno, I would recommend the topic(s) be:


A summary of the Governance Task Force Report—What, if anything, does this AMC really want to address? How can you incorporate information-driven decision-making by asking the right questions and finding the objective information to make your policies fit your organization's actual needs? AMC legislators vacillate between being reactive and politically driven by the handful of loud members... or ignoring the emotional, even if irrational, needs of our members. What is the middle course that will ensure our policies are sound AND embraced by the general membership?

1 comment:

Matt said...

I think people are confused by a common misperception. Everything makes more sense if you view the AMC not as the leaders, but as the followers-in-chief. The leaders, then, would be the general members who make a lot of noise and write things, and the AMC is blown about by those winds.