Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Eliminating Past Chairs


The election discussion and questioning of candidates is in full swing over in the AML Online Community. I'm cross-posting my answers here.

"How do you feel about eliminating the past chairs?"


Well, obviously, we cannot eliminate them. What you are really asking is how do I feel about having them on the BoD as voting members. Based on my extensive reading as part of the Governance Task Force, I see great value in keeping close connections with past Chairs so that the current BoD has quick access to experience and wisdom. I also resist basing my ideal composition of the BoD on cost-of-travel factors; we should not be putting dollar amounts on the value of volunteer contributions. I think that anyone on the BoD should be a full voting member of it. I also think that it is good for Mensa to have the decision-makers be experienced and wise rather than merely popular.

That said, there are many ways that Past Chairs’ wisdom can be accessed, especially in these times of near-instant communication. Someone who serves Mensa for that long and that intensely is not doing it for the reward of a few nights in yet another beige hotel. I believe their dedication to the organization runs much deeper and I cannot imagine anyone who has served Mensa as Chair would, upon leaving office, refuse to answer questions or offer advice to their successors, regardless of whether or not they are flown in and seated at the table during a formal meeting.

I think a smaller BoD would be better for Mensa, especially as the members’ clamoring for more direct consultation on decisions increases.  If we responsibly use our many communication venues, it would be quite plausible to have a functional and representative BoD comprising only 5 to 10 members.

I am leaning towards not keeping the Past Chairs on the board, perhaps phasing their roles over time. It strikes me that we could eliminate the Past-past Chair as a full board member and then have the Past Chair stay on the BoD for only the first of the two-year term to ease the transition. Another compromise possibility is to keep a Past Chair or two on the AMC elist, but in an advisory capacity similar to that of the ombudsman.

No comments: