Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Getting picked for AMC Committees

RR opined on a semi-public elist recently:
Having been on the "old" AMC and "new" AMC, I can comment on group think. First, the AMC has changed in how it is run behind the scenes. It has added an absolute ton of committees, and their pronouncements have become almost sacrosanct. If you are not on the committee (and the committee chairs hand pick their members), any objections you have don't count. I suppose this streamlines things as it blocks dissent. If I sent in a recommendation privately, I was told, "We are already working on that. Go away". This same attitude carried over to the private AMC e-list. If you are a "good soldier" type this is wonderful. If not, the door is shut. The "old" AMC allowed any AMC member to join whatever committee he/she wanted, allowing dissenting opinions.

I'd just like to point out that I have never turned down anyone asking to be on one of the committees I've chaired. As for hand-picking, I'd say that half of the people on my committees were picked for me by ASIE or by requests from the AMC chair. That's fine- I can work with anyone. I do, however, dislike filling committees with mostly AMC members, since to me the point of sub-committees is to get more members involved. As for allowing dissenting opinions, hah! That is exactly the reason I keep Dan Wilterding on my committee! Other committee members I am pleased to work with include Mike Eager, Jared Levine, and Brian Bloch--hardly people known for non-dissent.

RR never asked to be on any of my committees. I wonder which ones interested him that he was turned away from.

1 comment:

Fred Grosby said...

Why do you let this individual get under your skin? It seems to me that responding to this individual's foolishness only serves to validate it. Not what you want.

Just an opinion ...