Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Unconnected comments

It occurs to me that since January, I've been Communications Officer longer than anyone else (Marie served 4 years).

I'm looking forward to working with the new Bulletin editor. We met last Friday and I feel good about the direction the publication will be heading. We saw eye-to-eye on most values and priorities, most particularly an increase in member-involvement.

A lady recently called me to tell me she's quitting Mensa because another member insulted her by calling Christianity a mythology. The Revelle Report revealed that a huge reason people quit is because they don't feel welcomed by the local members. How on earth is the AMC supposed to legislate ways to force members to be nice to each other?

8 comments:

Jared said...

It's not supposed to. Please don't try.

--Jared
Hoping the question was really just rhetorical exasperation rather than legitimate.

Robin Crawford said...

Yes, of course I was being rhetorical and exasperated. No one can force anyone to be nice. And not everyone inspires niceness in others. Even "civility" is subject to personal interpretation and impossible to enforce.

Just venting-- sometimes I get to do that. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm quitting Mensa because I've read people who have put down my religion. One person in particular was very nasty to me. You can "legislate" members to be nicer by being more on top of what is is we entrust you to be.

Robin Crawford said...

I don't understand what you mean by "by being more on top of what is is we entrust you to be."

Anonymous said...

People have insulted my faith, and insulted me -- and I'm sure I have insulted others. Mensa shouldn't be in the business of forcing people to be nice to each other, we have to do that ourselves.

To quit a group because of an insult -- that is something I can't understand. If it's widespread, fine, but I doubt that's the case here. I just avoid the "insulters."

Jody

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous,

If someone outside Mensa insults your religion, what do you quit? The country? The planet?

Anonymous said...

About the only thing that the AMC could do is to express its sense that rudeness is not appropriate. But that would involve expressing an opinion, and Mensa doesn't do that, does it?

jimdatpanixcom said...

Having attended more than one regional RG for more than one year, both of which are understatements, I have noticed that pontificators and missionaries on various topics no longer attend such gatherings. They have edited themselves out. How does one find out what religious beliefs one has, other than being told about that by the believer?